Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Cinnamon Stick Ornament

I was in my kitchen the other day with a container of cinnamon sticks tucked away in our dilapidated lazy susan (one day I will write about that) and thought, hey, I can make something out of these guys. Lo and behold, I did.

 

There's something about cinnamon sticks that are just so darn cute! They smell incredible, especially this festive time of year, and have those little curls on either end that would rival Cindy Lou Who's coif. Like snowflakes, each one is different from the next.. okay, not dramatically so, but still. 



I started to piece together cinnamon sticks in a tree-like pattern, topping it off with none other than star anise. Of course!! No cinnamon Christmas tree would be complete with out one. But wait, there's more. All Spice decided to make an entrance not too far into this crafting project and wedged themselves right into the nooks of the "tree". It was coming together rather nicely, like a Bob Ross painting, minus happy clouds, but this was certainly a happy tree.  




The tree stump is made from a fallen-apart cinnamon stick and I turned it backwards. No tree would be complete without garland or some sort of string adorning it. So, I tried this one on for size. It was actually pretty nice. All it needed were glimmering lights strung from top to bottom and I do believe it would've been a sight to see. 



Want to try your hand at it? Here's what you need:
  • Cinnamon Sticks, cut into various sizes. 
  • Star Anise
  • String/Ribbon
  • All Spice (optional)
  • Glue Gun



Begin by piecing the tree together. I even took separate pieces to make one long piece of the tree. Once everything is in place, glue away. 



 Feel free to get fancy and whip out the glitter. I'm sure that would look awesome on the star itself! In these parts, glitter is a little dangerous since it never actually leaves the surfaces of our house... including my baby boy's face. 



Have fun stringing along the fun!!! 
















2 comments: